Thursday, October 17, 2013

Grace

My first time doing Grace with Amanda and Alicia.
Grace is my girl. Grace is one of the CrossFit "Girl" WODs. Of the 8 or 9 "Girls" I've taken on in the past year and a half of CrossFit, Grace is the first, and only, one I've been able to do RXd, or exactly as written. I know that scaling workouts is part of CrossFit, but even though I've done Fran, Elizabeth, Nancy, Annie, Diane, Karen, and Jackie, etc before... I don't feel like I've ever really done them because there were parts I couldn't do, like pull-ups, or ring dips, or handstand push-ups, or double-unders. But 30 clean & jerks at 95lbs for time? That has me written all over it. Grace is even more special to me because I got to do it RXd for the first time with my coaches Amanda and Alicia right before I moved to DC.

A few months later when Brickhouse started posting about their Barbells for Boobs fundraising event and I learned the workout would be Grace, I really wanted to go home to be a part of the event. Unfortunately I had already scheduled a trip home for the weekend prior and I wasn't able to make two trips in a row. I still wanted to participate in the fundraiser and try Grace again, but my new gym wasn't doing it, so I looked online and found out that CrossFit Reston was pretty close and was also hosting the workout. Even though I would have rather been with friends at either Brickhouse or District, I was enjoying experiencing different CrossFit boxes and the way I saw it, Barbells for Boobs wasn't as much about where I did it as it was about doing it. Raising money and awareness to provide mammograms for those in need. Helping save lives through early detection. Taking on Grace again and going for a PR.

I wasn't sure what to expect but hoped that CrossFit Reston would be as welcoming as the other boxes I visited and I was pleased when I was warmly greeted and taken in by the coaches and athletes there. The coaches took us all through a warm-up, explained and drilled the movements, started the music, started the clock, and we took on Grace together. Side by side. Some people breezed through, others struggled. Not everyone did the RX weight, one woman in her pink "Lifting for Two" t-shirt used dumbells instead of a barbell.
Photo By: NOVA Sports Photography

I was excited to do the RX weight, and proud of the impressed looks I got when I stated my intention to do so, but I knew it would still be a challenge for me. It didn't seem as daunting though knowing that I was lifting in the same heat as an athlete from CFR that was battling cancer herself. My fight with the barbell, my fight to lose weight...both paled in comparison to her fight. A few minutes of struggle with a heavy weight to help raise awareness so that others might not have to face that fight? No problem. 

The greatest part of the whole event, for me, wasn't getting an almost 4 minute PR (though I was totally stoked about that) it was being one of the last to finish in my heat and being surrounded by athletes who didn't know me, having them cheer me on and count down my reps, and high-fiveing me when I finished. Being embraced by the CrossFit community. 

This year I'm back home for Barbells for Boobs and I can't wait. As one of the top fundraisers from last year, Brickhouse CrossFit was chosen as an official stop on the Reebok Pink Bra Tour. I won't be able to do Grace RXd this year, but again, it's just about taking on a challenge, raising awareness, and having fun with my friends. Being a part of the community.

Brickhouse CrossFit is located at 521 Salem Avenue
in Roanoke, VA. The event starts at 6:00pm.
I have been incredibly lucky to have not been personally effected by cancer. Knock on wood, no one in my immediate family has either. I know that I am in the very rare minority in this respect. Until recently I didn't really even know anyone close to me who had battled cancer. I will be doing Grace to support those who haven't been so lucky. For those who might not have someone to support them. I would invite all of you, anyone and everyone, to join us for the event this Friday. Even if you don't do CrossFit. Even if you've never picked up a barbell...what a better time or reason to try?

If you can't make it out to take on Grace with me, try to find one in your area, or please consider contributing to the cause by visiting my fundraising page: http://fundraise.barbellsforboobs.org/fundraise?fcid=259459 


No comments:

Post a Comment