Friday, November 2, 2012

Strong at the Broken Places

Every year the Department of Veterans Affairs does something special for Veterans Day on their website. Last year they featured all of the VA employees who are also Veterans by posting pictures of them in their uniforms from the time they served. This year they are debuting a new video called "Strong at the Broken Places" that will showcase Veterans overcoming their struggles and thriving in the civilian world. Being strong even though a part of them might have been or may seem broken.

The phrase "Strong at the Broken Places" is part of the larger quote pictured here from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I haven't read this book, though I probably should, so when I heard the quote and explanation in relation to the project for Veterans day, it struck a chord with me, even though I have never served. The whole point of the quote, to me, is that life is tough for everyone, in some way, at some time. No one is without their own struggle, but it's these things that break us down that help to build us up and make us stronger.

I used to feel that I was a broken person. I felt I was living in a state of brokenness and wasn't fixable. I know now that isn't true. I was broken. Parts of my body were literally broken, my spirit was broken, but as it turns out neither were broken beyond repair. Titanium rods fixed my legs, and over the last few months CrossFit has taken care of the other parts that were broken. Recovering from my brokenness has also given me a new perspective on my situation. I chose this picture from a CrossFit event I participated in last weekend that benefited "No Greater Sacrifice" to accompany the quote. As I was working on the picture I started to think that it wasn't the right image. That I looked weak and broken and maybe I should chose one that made me look strong. The more I thought about it, even though this is usually how I end a WOD and I may feel that I'm going to die, this is actually when I feel the strongest and the most alive. I can look back on all that I've just accomplished and be proud of myself for making it through.

Most everyone in my life knows, now, about my story and my accident, but for a long time following the accident it was all that I was. EVERYONE knew, and I told the story so many times that it started to feel like something that hadn't happened to me, it was just this story I told. I wanted to avoid some people because they always brought it up or asked about it, of course out of love and concern, but it was difficult for me to have to keep living in that place. It's not a secret, or anything that I'm ashamed of, and I will still tell anyone that is curious all about it, but it's no longer my calling card. It's not, "Hi I'm Ginny and I was in a car accident" with everyone I meet. (Even though I do talk about it here quite a bit.)

I was fortunate enough to work the National Veterans Wheelchair Games this year and was inspired by the drive and determination of the Veterans competing and of the community spirit that they shared. I have seen the same thing in CrossFit, and have watched many Veterans compete in this sport as well. I am also excited to go to the Working Wounded Games next weekend as I'm sure it will be a very powerful event. Working with Veterans has also helped me to gain perspective on my life and I have a great amount of respect for every man and woman in this country that has put on a uniform and defended my freedom. It saddens me to see such young kids returning from overseas and the toll that fighting a war has taken on them, but at the same time I am inspired by the will of some of these young men and women to not let their experience define the person they are when they return to civilian life in a negative way. I am also inspired by the stories of the Veteran from WWII that was commanding an amphibious tank at 19 and the POW who escaped capture twice, and then came home and lived incredibly full lives. I could never imagine or pretend to understand what it's like to fight a war, but I have seen first-hand the effects of war. Injuries that are both seen and unseen, mental and physical battle scars. People who have been broken but are strong at their broken places.

Knowing the sacrifices that these Veterans have made to protect our country makes what I've been through not seem as bad and makes me grateful that I'm not really that broken at all anymore. It may seem stupid, and I'm sure annoying to some people when I say it to them, but I really am thankful every day that I wake up and am able to walk and do things for myself and not be broken. I do have to occasionally remind myself that I am blessed in this way, but knowing where I have come from and where I am now, it doesn't take long to take stock of what is great in my life.

This November I urge you all to think about what makes your life truly great, and what blessings you wake up to every day. Make sure you thank the Veterans and active duty military that you know for helping you keep them.



No comments:

Post a Comment